Large Event Assembly Permit
Planning a big get-together? A gathering involving more than fifty (50) persons is considered a Large Assembly; or actions by one or more persons, the intention of which is to attract and assemble a gathering of persons in excess of fifty (50) at a single time and place for any purpose. Such assemblies may involve a concert, parade, show, festival, carnival, rally, party, street dance, race, or other outdoor activity or celebration that is held on public property, in the right-of-way or if held on private property, will affect or impact the ordinary and normal use by the general public within the vicinity of the assembly. We hope your event is a success!
Permit Required for Large Assembly Events
- Any applicant who wants to maintain, promote, conduct, advertise, manage, sell, barter or give tickets to an actual or reasonably anticipated assembly of two hundred (200) or more people, whether on public or private property, must have a permit to hold the assembly first issued by the City. In addition to the permit required by the City, the applicant must obtain and submit to the City any other State licenses and/or permits necessary to carry on the assembly.
- Any person who leases, rents, barters, or promotes for some form of remuneration the use of private property for an actual or reasonably anticipated assembly of fifty (50) or more people on said private property, must have a permit to hold the assembly first issued by the City. The City may limit the number of events a private property owner may host to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the affected neighborhood and community at large.
Large Assembly FAQs
Q: When do I need a permit?
A: If you plan to have 50 or more people on private property or 200 or more people whether on public or private property, you need to apply for a city permit.
Q: How far in advance do I need to apply?
A: At least 30 days prior to your event.
Q: Who do I contact with questions?
A: You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Large assemblies sponsored by the City.
- Any regularly established, permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, theatre, City parks/community center, school, community college or other similar permanently established place of assembly.
- The BEST Foundation May Day 5K.
- Golf tournaments.
- Non-City sponsored events on City or County Park property associated with the use of a facility, building or shelter that requires a permit, as long as proper rental permits and other licenses and permits are obtained.
- Graduation parties, weddings, or funeral gatherings, if located on property that is used as the principal place of residence of the host of the event.
Application and Required documents
- Completed application
- Surety Bond or other financial guarantee in an amount not less than $5,000.00.
- Insurance policy/certificate that covers any and all damages, claims, or other liabilities arising out of the operation of the large assembly, whether incurred by the City or by any other association or person.
For more information on the current fee, see page 8 of the current City Fee Schedule.
The City's Large Assemblies Ordinance (Chapter 4 - Business Regulations, Chapter 14 - Large Assemblies) includes information on:
- Review Process
- Conditions of Approval
- Permit Denial
- Overnight Camping