- Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention Program
- Home/Premise Checks
- Drop Off Medication
- Safe Swap
- Vitals App
- Neighborhood Watch
- Severe Weather
Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention Program
The IGH PD is a participating agency with the Minnesota Department of Commerce Fraud Bureau’s Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention Pilot Program.
The program intends to deter the theft of catalytic converters by permanently marking them with a unique identification number that can be traced back to a specific owner. This permanent marking helps increase the chance of a successful prosecution if someone is caught with a marked catalytic converter.
The Commerce Fraud Bureau chose the CATGUARD label solution. The kits provided by the Commerce Fraud Bureau will only be available to IGH residents who are owners of the most targeted vehicles for catalytic converter theft (listed below).
Due to the limited number of available kits, the IGH PD wants to maximize the effectiveness of the pilot program by ensuring kits are properly and professionally applied. So, we have partnered with a few local auto repair businesses (listed below) to apply the kit at no charge to owners. However, a vehicle owner does not need to use a partnering auto repair business, if a vehicle owner patronizes a different auto repair business. We will still help with the registration process and then provide the vehicle owner with their kit.
Catalytic Converter Marking Process
- Labels are installed by sticking them onto a - cool to the touch - catalytic converter.
- A fluid is then painted onto the label, which, once a vehicle is started, causes the unique number to be etched into the metal.
To learn more about the CATGUARD, view this informational CATGUARD install video on YouTube.
Please note: The installation process requires the catalytic converter to be clean, dry, and cool to the touch when the label is applied. As a result, installation times may vary and our local partnering auto repair businesses will let you know how long it will take upon the prearranged arrival of your vehicle.
Top 15 vehicles targeted for catalytic converter theft
|Chevrolet Express |
|Honda Element |
Hyundai Santa Fe
|Mitsubishi Eclipse |
Register for a Kit
To receive a CATGUARD kit we ask Inver Grove Heights residents who are owners of the most targeted vehicles for catalytic converter theft (which are listed above) to contact us via email at email@example.com and include:
- IGH address (this allows us to verify you are a resident)
- Contact information (phone and email)
- Vehicle information: make, model, and license plate number (REMINDER the vehicle must be one of the top 15 vehicles listed above)
We will then register the CATGUARD kit with the information the vehicle owner provides and arrange a time for the vehicle owner to pick up their kit at the IGH PD.
Please note: Installation requires the converter to be clean, dry, and cool to the touch when the label is applied. As a result, the auto repair business may need the vehicle for an extended amount of time. We ask owners to make arrangements with the auto repair business for the installation, just showing up may not guarantee availability that day for installation.
Local Partnering Auto Repair Businesses
- Christian Brother Automotive (southern IGH);
Contact number: 651-758-8522
Address: 9963 Diffley Court, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077
- Paul’s Auto & Tire (central IGH)
Contact number: 651-450-1326
Address: 3052 65th Street E., Inver Grove Heights 55076
- TGK Automotive (northern IGH)
Contact number: 651-450-4426
Address: 5641Blackburn Lane, Inver Grove Heights, 55076
The partnering businesses have agreed to:
- Install the labels at no cost to vehicle owners.
- Provide a free vehicle inspection to help owners understand what services their vehicles may need.
This is a program where you can request the IGH PD to come check on your premise while you are out of town. These premise checks are done by our Police Officers.
How to Request
You can call our department at 651-450-2525 during regular business hours. Our department requires a minimum 72 hour notice to do these checks.
We will ask you for:
- Your name
- Your home address
- When you are leaving
- When you will return
- If there will be any cars parked in the driveway
- If there will be lights or radios on timers
- Who we should contact, if we find a problem
Once we have this information, your home check will be assigned to our on-duty officers. They will check your premise during their available times.
Medication Drop-Off, IGH Police Station
The City of Inver Grove Heights, in partnership with Dakota County, provide a place to dispose of prescription drugs safely and anonymously. The medication drop box is located near the Police Department counter inside City Hall (8150 Barbara Avenue) and is accessible Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The closest parking lot and entryway is located on the west side of City Hall.
How to Drop Off Your Medicine:
- Drop-off is safe and anonymous. No ID is required and no questions will be asked.
- Keep medicines in their original container and place them in a sealed, clear plastic bag (pills can remain in their blister packs).
- Use a marker to cross out your name on the medicine containers.
- Place medicine that is no longer in its original container in a clear plastic bag and write the name of the medicine on the bag.
- Medicines from households are accepted in any form, including prescription, over-the-counter, and pet medications.
- No medicines from businesses, including health care facilities, long-term care facilities, pharmacies, doctors’ offices, and veterinary clinics can be accepted.
- Not Accepted: Needles/sharps and fever thermometers
Every April National Take Back Day is recognized by the DEA. Learn more about this event and how to participate at IGH PD.
Inver Grove Heights residents who exchange items bought or sold online now have a public location to make legal transactions. The Swap Spot is located at the Inver Grove Heights’ Public Safety building in the customer parking lot. Swap Spots are available during regular business hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding Holidays.
Helpful reminders about Swap Spots:
- While security monitoring is in place, police officers will not be present during exchanges. If you require immediate police assistance, please call 911.
- Swap Spots are a not a guarantee of safety, but rather used as an additional option when people want to schedule an exchange or transaction in a public place.
- Always be mindful of your personal safety, surroundings and who you will be conducting exchanges with. Have someone accompany you as an added precaution if necessary.
Neighborhood Watch is a crime prevention program that enlists the active participation of Neighborhood Watch Groups. The goal of the program is to reduce crime in a neighborhood and improve the quality of life in each neighborhood.
Neighborhood Watch involves:
- Neighbors getting to know each other and working together for a common cause
- People being trained to recognize and report suspicious activity in their neighborhoods
- Knowing what to do to make your homes and neighborhoods a safe place to live
For more information about the Neighborhood Watch program call 651-450-2525 or send an email.
Severe Weather Sirens in the City of Inver Grove Heights
In the event of an emergency, here is a guide to sirens in IGH:
- Sirens are intended for community members who are outside. They sound for three minutes. If you are indoors, we recommend the use of a weather app or radio.
- Sirens are activated by the Dakota 911 when the National Weather Service issues a tornado warning or severe thunderstorm warning when winds exceed 70 miles per hour.
Other Notification Options
Local public safety has other tools that they use to alert the public. This includes the Emergency Alert Program used by the Dakota Communications Center. This mass phone notification system allows the public to register their cell phones to receive non-weather-related alerts on their phones when issued by local public safety officials. Sign up for the Emergency Alert Program.