Animal Information

Lost Dog?

For information regarding a lost or missing animal call the Police Department at 651-450-2525 during business hours. After hours call Dakota County Dispatch at 911. 

Animals are taken to the South Saint Paul Animal Hospital when an owner can't be found. They can be reached by phone at 651-455-5897. 

Where to get a Dog License

Effective May 1, 2019, the City will no longer require a dog to be licensed, however, the City will require all dogs to be vaccinated. Anyone found to have a dog that isn’t vaccinated or the vaccination has expired, will be subject to a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

Other regulations

Animal control regulations are part of the Inver Grove Heights City Code, Title 5, Chapter 4. The City of Inver Grove Heights Police Department responds to animal control complaints and issues. In general, the City does not respond to issues related to wild animals. 

Please contact the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources at 651-296-6157 for tips or help regarding problems with wildlife. 

Effective May 1, 2019:

The City Council approved the following updates to ordinances related to dogs:

  • Dogs can be off leash on the owners’ property, in the owners’ vehicle, or at the Heritage Village Off-leash Dog Park.
  • Dogs can be in any city park, trail or public sidewalk as long as they are on a leash that is sixteen feet (16’) long or less at all times
  • Dogs are not allowed on athletic fields (i.e. soccer fields/courts) and can’t be inside a fenced athletic field
  • Owners of dogs in a manufactured home park must keep their dog(s) on a  sixteen feet (16’) leash at all times when the animal is outside
  • Dogs in common areas of apartments, condominiums, cooperatives, and town homes shall be kept on a leash not greater than sixteen feet (16’) in length and under restraint at all times.

To file a complaint or ask a question regarding animal control, please contact the Police Department at 651-450-2525 during regular business hours. After hours call Dakota County Dispatch at 911.

Kennel License