Your Utility Bill
City Utilities System
Inver Grove Heights' water and sanitary sewer systems are classified as utility infrastructure. Utility infrastructure is the fundamental physical foundation of a city. It includes utility equipment such as the city's water treatment plant, water mains, pipes and towers, sanitary sewers and its lift stations.
Maintaining this infrastructure is an ongoing process. Old and worn equipment must be replaced to ensure a high level of utility service at the lowest possible cost. The cost of maintaining a city's utility infrastructure is covered by utility fees, not property taxes. Every time you pay your utility bill, part of that money is used for ongoing repairs and updates to the entire utility system.
Learn More About Your Utility Bill
- Understanding Your Utility Bill
- Understanding Meter Readings
- Paying Your Bill - late fees resume in October, click here to learn more
Senior Discount on Utility Bills
Seniors 65 years of age or older may be eligible for a discount on the base fee of your water service charge.
- Applicant must be 65 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Please note: There are no retroactive discounts.
- Applicant must have an active water service account with the City of Inver Grove Heights listed in their name for the address they are asking the discount to be applied to.
Apply for a Senior Discount on your Bill
If you meet the eligibility requirements above, please provide the following to our Utility Billing Department:
- Complete and sign the Application for a Senior Discount.
- This is a fillable form. It can be downloaded to your computer, filled in and then printed.
- You can also print the form with blank fields and complete the form by hand.
- Provide proof of age: A copy of the Applicant’s valid driver license or state issued identification card with current address must be attached with the application.
Return completed application and supporting documents
- In-person at City Hall, 8150 Barbara Ave (Drop Box outside of the building or at the front counter during business hours, Mon-Fri: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Mail to: City of Inver Grove Heights, Attn: Utility Billing, 8150 Barbara Avenue, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – This is not an encrypted account.
The Applicant will not be notified if their application is approved. The discount will be reflected on all future utility bills on the breakdown portion of your bill, and will appear as WA-Senior. Please note: There are no retroactive discounts.
One discount per household/address. Applicants do not need to reapply once receiving the discount.