Licenses & Permits
All Permits and Inspections Are Now Available
COVID-19 protocol will still be followed at the request of the occupants and if it is mandated at the specific jobsite. For the most up-to-date information regarding the city’s response to COVID-19, visit www.ighmn.gov/COVID-19.
All permits can be secured and paid for through the Inver Grove Heights online portal.
Inspection staff is available by phone at 651-450-2550 for consultations during this time, or via e-mail at email@example.com.
A city license is required for contractors performing the following types of work:
- General Commercial
- General Residential (over four units)
License fee: $50 for calendar year. All City Licenses require the completed Certificate of Insurance form accompanied by the license and fee.
Below is the 2021 City License application. Please consider uploading this application to an upcoming permit (make note it is attached in the permit description) and the license payment can be made online. Otherwise, we will accept this application via USPS mail with an enclosed check for the $50 license fee only.
The City requires permits and licenses for various building-related activities that occur within the City. Below is a list of building-related activities that require a permit.
- Basement Finish
- Cooking Ventilation Systems / Hood Cleaning
- Egress Windows
- Inspection Requirements - Checklist
- Manufactured Housing Installation Requirements
- Multi-Family & Commercial Permits and Fees
- Pools / Spas / Hot Tubs
- Retaining Wall
- Single Family Homes
- Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems Code Information Packet
- Windows and Doors
Permits can now be applied for online. The below applications should only be submitted through the portal when you are applying for a permit with plans. Permits not requiring plan sets do not need a permit application submission, simply register and apply through the online portal.
- Building Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Electric Permit Application
- Plumbing and Utility Permit Application
- Miscellaneous Permit Application
- Manufactured Home Installation Permit Application
Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems Forms & Permit Applications
- Sewage Treatment System Permit Application and Instructions
- Capacity Compliance Inspection Form and Instructions
- Variance Application and Instructions
- SSTS Abandonment Reporting Form