- Your Government
- City Advisory Commissions
- Commissioner Application
Why Become a Commissioner
Being a commissioner is a great way to be involved and active in the IGH community! As a Commissioner, you will apply your knowledge of the community and expertise in specific areas to help advise the City Council and City staff on projects, programs, budgets, City Code and more. The City has several commissions to choose from to offer your expertise and guidance: Parks and Recreation Commission, Environmental Commission, and the Planning Commission.*
As a commissioner, you are expected to regularly attend your commission's meetings. Commissions meet at least once per month, twice per month for the Planning Commission. Visit the specific commission web page for information on meeting dates and times:
*The Planning Commission is unique in that it is governed by state law. For more information on what the Planning Commission is responsible for, please visit www.lmc.org or contact Planning.
How to Apply
The City currently has two remaining Commissioner seats to fill: one opening for a one-year term on the Environmental Advisory Commission and one opening for a two-year term on the Planning Commission. Applications are due at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 16. You may complete an application in several ways:
- Complete the electronic form. Once you click "submit," it will automatically be sent to the City Clerk.
- Commissioner Applications are accepted in person at City Hall, 8150 Barbara Avenue, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the front desk.
- Mail your Commissioner Application to City Hall, ATTN: City Clerk, 8150 Barbara Avenue, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077. Must be postmarked by June 16, 2023.
- Fax your Commissioner Application with ATTN to City Clerk to 651-450-2502
Interview and Appointment Process
Once an application has been received, new commissioner applicants must be interviewed by the City Council. All current commissioners will also have the opportunity to interview with the Council. Interviews last approximately 15 minutes and are held in the Mayor’s Conference room at City Hall, 8150 Barbara Avenue. Interview times are TBD.
The Council selects and appoints commission members the same day as interviews, during a special meeting. Meetings are televised on Ch. 14/799HD and also live-streamed and archived on Town Square Television's website.
Contact Rebecca Kiernan, City Clerk, at 651-450-2513 or email.