Where is the Police Department located?

8150 Barbara Avenue

Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077

What are the lobby hours?

The police reception desk is staffed M-F, 8 am to 4:30 pm, excluding holidays. A lobby phone is available that will be directed to a dispatcher to request police assistance outside of normal business hours and on weekends.

What number should I call if I don't have an emergency?

The Police Department partners with the Dakota Communication Center for dispatching services. The DCC encourages the use of 9-1-1 for any situation that requires the response of police, fire, emergency medical personnel. This includes non-emergency situations such as reporting a crime, a traffic situation, or suspicious activity. The dispatcher will ask questions to help assure the proper level of response and that emergencies receive the highest priority. 9-1-1 should not be used for information purposes only. You may contact the DCC at 651--322-2323. For more information visit the DCC website at www.mn-dcc.org.

Do you provide fingerprinting services?

The police department no longer provides fingerprinting services.

What is the curfew for juveniles?

Click on link

Is there an overnight parking ordinance?

Yes, parking on any street or highway within the City is prohibited from November 1st through April 1st between the hours of 3:00 am and 6:00 am. Warning notices will be issued beginning October 15th. On November 1st, any vehicle found in violation will be tagged and/or towed to the impound lot.

Click on link

What are the winter parking restrictions?

Click on link

My vehicle was impounded, where can I retrieve it?

Vehicles can be released at Southeast Towing:

7401 Dickman Trail

Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076


If you're told the vehicle has a hold on it, please call the Police Department at 651-450-2525.

What should I do if I find and injured wild animal?

If the animal is in an area where it is posing a threat to people, please call 911 so an officer can be dispatched to assess the situation. If the animal is not posing an immediate threat, please contact the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center at 651-486-9453 for advice.

I saw a coyote/cougar/wolf. What should I do?

Click on link

Can I drive a mini-bike or motorized scooter on the sidewalk or roadway?

Click on link

What are the City's regulations for door-to-door sales?

Click on link

What are the regulations on the use of BB guns and paintball guns?

The use of firearms including BB guns and paintball guns are prohibited except by law enforcement officers in the line of duty, or when used by a person to lawfully defend their person, property or family, or on a licensed shooting range within the City.

What should I do if I'm in a car accident?

You are only required to notify the police if there is an injury related to the crash, or if public property has been damaged. Crashes that result in damage to the vehicles only can be handled by exchanging insurance information. If for any reason you would like an officer to respond, please call 911 or 651-322-2323 and an officer will be dispatched. If the crash has resulted in an injury or in $1,000 combined damage for all vehicles involved, a State of Minnesota Accident Report must be completed. This requirement is in place regardless of whether an officer responded or not. You may obtain the form from the Department of Public Safety: www.dps.state.mn.us

How do I obtain a copy of my Accident/Police report?

Please complete a data request - Data Request 

How can I get a background check done on myself?

The Police Department can do a local record check (Inver Grove Heights Police records only) and provide you with a certified written document containing the results of the search for $15.00.

If you need a FULL criminal background check, please contact the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension at 651-793-2400.

How can I get a copy of my Minnesota Driving Record?

The State of Minnesota can provide you with a copy of your driving record. Contact the Division of Vehicle Services at 651-296-6911.

I would like to report a non-violent crime with no suspects or witnesses.

We are unable to take reports of hit and run, identity theft, financial transaction fraud or check forgery reports over the phone. Please come into the Police Department to make this report or call the non-emergency number 651-322-2323 to have an officer dispatched to your location.

I have been the victim of Identity Theft, what should I do?

Click on link

How do I obtain a restraining order/order for protection?

The Police Department doesn't provide restraining orders. You must go to one of the Dakota County Service Centers. Once the restraining order has been issued, the order must be served before it's considered to be in effect. At that point, if the order is violated, the Police can act upon it.

Northern Service Center, 1 Mendota Road, West St. Paul. 651-554-6200

Judicial Center, 1560 Highway 55 Hastings. 651-438-8100

Western Service Center, 14955 Galaxie Ave W, Apple Valley. 952-891-7256

I lost my cell phone and my carrier says I need a police report in order to get reimbursed.

The Police Department can't write a police report on lost property, due to the fact that it isn't a crime. We can however, provide you with an 'incident number' which shows that you've contacted is and we've documented that you lost your phone.

How do I obtain a permit to purchase a firearm?

Two options:

1. Download the application from the Department of Public Safety web site (www.dps.state.mn.us), complete it and bring it in to the Police Department (bring ID to show you are the applicant).

2. Complete an application at the Police Department.

You must reside in the City of Inver Grove Heights.

Please allow seven to 10 business days to process the application. If you're approved, you will be contacted regarding your next step. If you're not approved, will will contact you to explain the reason for denial.

A permit to acquire is valid for one year. Each year you must come in and renew your permit if you wish to purchase additional firearms. You don't need to renew your permit to continue to own current firearms.

How do I obtain a permit to carry a firearm?

Permits to carry a firearm are processed at the County level only. If you live in Dakota County, visit thier web site (www.dakota.mn.us) or call 651-438-4700.

I've lost my citation, how can I pay my fine?

We don't accept payment for citations, you need to contact any one of the Dakota County Service Centers and they will look up your citation number. You have the option of paying them over the phone with a credit card. 651-554-6200 for the Northern Service Center.

I lost something and want to know if it was turned into the police department.

Call 651-450-2525 to see if we have your property.

How do I retrieve my confiscated property?

Please call and make an appointment before coming to the police department. 651-450-2525.

I've locked my keys in my car, can the Police help me?

Please call the non-emergency number to have an officer dispatched. 651-322-2323.

I would like my child seat to be inspected to ensure it was properly installed, who do I call?

Please call M - F, 8 am to 4:30 pm to schedule an appointment, 651-450-2525.