Utility Bill Assistance

What if I Need Assistance Paying My Bill?

There are resources available to residents experiencing financial hardship and need assistance with their utility bills.

  • Community Action Partnership (CAP) Agency’s Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps eligible households within Scott, Carver and Dakota Counties with energy bill payment assistance, home energy crisis intervention, outreach, energy advocacy, information about utility consumer rights, and referrals. Visit CAP's website to learn more about eligibility and applying for the program or call 651-322-3500.
  • Energy CENTS Coalition's mission is to promote affordable utility service for low and fixed-income households, to ensure the basic necessity of energy to all citizens, and to encourage the participation of low and fixed-income citizens in energy issues and energy-related decision-making. Learn more on Energy CENTS Coalition's website.
  • CenterPoint Energy Income-Qualified Programs include a multi-family building efficiency program, multi-family bonus rebates, low-income heating system tune-ups, and non-profit affordable housing rebates. View CenterPoint Energy's Low Income Program (PDF).
  • Dakota County Community Development Agency (CDA) - Weatherization Assistance Program is administered as a joint effort between the CAP Agency and the CDA. Weatherization services will permanently reduce energy bills by helping to make your home more energy-efficient. The program provides income-qualified homeowners in Carver, Dakota, and Scott Counties with a grant to assist with making their homes more energy-efficient. Learn more on Dakota County CDA's website.
  • Having a home energy assessmentis a great way to learn about how your home uses energy, and find ways to reduce costs and improve comfort year-round. Free assessments are available to income-qualified households. (Households must meet income qualifications set by the program to be eligible for a no-cost energy assessment. Contact your utility provider to see if you qualify.) Depending on your utility provider, these services are available to Dakota County residents:
    • Home Energy Squad®: Jointly offered to Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy customers, the Home Energy Squad helps you learn about energy-saving opportunities in your home and installs certain energy-saving materials on the spot for no extra cost. Both homeowners and renters are eligible. Visit the Home Energy Squad webpage or call 866-222-4595.

Energy Assistance Program

  • The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is a federally funded program
  • Grants are paid directly to your energy provider, or utility company, for your bill.
  • Grants range from $300 to $2,000
  • Grants are available to renters and homeowners.
  • Grants are based on energy cost, household size, and income.
  • Grants may be given to households with income at or below 60% of the state media income.
  • Not sure if your qualify? See the 2022 EAP Income Guidelines

How Can We Help?

  • Payment of energy bills.
  • Payment of water/wastewater bills.
  • Help with utility disconnection or fuel deliveries.
  • Education on the efficient and safe use of energy.
  • Advocacy with energy suppliers and human service providers.
  • Repair or replacement of homeowners' broken heating systems.

How to Apply

Applications for the 2021 to 2022 heating season are now available.

Please note: Applications must be submitted through your EAP provider.

  1. Find your EAP provider (for help call 1-800-657-3710).
  2. Complete an application.
    1. Contact your EAP providers and request an application.
    2. Download a PDF application
      1. EAP application - English (fillable PDF) - This application can be submitted electronically; see the application for detail.
      2. EAP application - Español (Spanish) (PDF)
      3. EAP application - Hmoob (Hmong) (PDF)
      4. EAP application - Soomaali (Somali) (PDF)
      5. EAP application - Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) (PDF)
    3. Request an application by mail using the Energy Assistance Application Request form.
  3. Return your completed application to your EAP provider.